View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #17
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
Times have drastically changed, we need to as well.
Yes, times have drastically changed.

True, the labor force has gotten a lot more competitive. As a result, folks without college degrees have probably felt it the most.

I think what really has hurt this country is the dwindling number of higher-paying manufacturing jobs, and the proliferation of unskilled "service" jobs.

Don't get me wrong - all work is noble. But folks can make more money making gizmos for export than ringing up the register at the local Mao-Mart.

There are several factors that have led to a decline in the number of manufacturing jobs in this country.

They include

1) aggressive labor unions that have driven labor costs higher and have pushed jobs to overseas markets;

2) onerous federal and state government regulations that did the same;

3) technological advancements that replace manual labor;

4) lower cost of labor in developing markets; and

5) the seeming lack of will amongst Americans to build a better widget that people want to buy.

#1 and #2 have political solutions.

#3 is unavoidable.

#4 can be partially addressed by #1 and #2.

#5 ... ?

Some folks will argue that as an economy moves to more services-based industry, that it is a sign of progress. I think that is total bull$hit. A strong economy is one that has a good chunk of manufactured goods for export.

We're almost the exact opposite. We collectively buy cheap imported rubber dog poo made in China. And the worst part is we do it on our credit cards, with money printed by the federal reserve.

What a racket.