View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Mass View Post
Good info here guys. As I head down this path, I'll share my trials and tribulations.

RR - Pm'd ya.

Niko/Rick - looks like round is the way to go and watch for bleeders - got it.

Stiff Tip - 2 gal =1 Pogie Being a geek engineer by trade, much appreciated, with all the other good info stuffed in your post.

NIB - Took a ride to the car wash today. Prognosis is looking pretty good to snag a drum tomorrow from the manager Don't want to put you out for a picture just yet. If I get rolling on a home built. I may take you up on it. The KeepAlive Aerator looks like they move/filter water and inject bubbles at the same time. Are you suggesting that the bubbler (in your picture) is all you need? This would certainly cut down on the amps required.

The keep alive sucks..The motor is in the water.That adds heat..The filter that surrounds the unit gets clogged from scales.There's tons of scales..It makes a terrible foam. This is bad as surface foam depletes oxygen..Too many things to go wrong..You can't afford to have hard to get baits go bad on ya.Especially when it counts..Check out a site called aquaticeco .com They specialize in this sort of things.Call em for a catalog to blow your mind up..Like I said I use a similar low amp pump it works great.All you need is some air.You don't need to blow there scales off.Other factors like I mentioned are more important for healthy baits.
First and foremost is plenty of room..I would say In my experience for the bunk, 4-5 gallons of water per bait is a good formula..Keeping it cool with fresh changes is important also.
So lets say you have a 35 gallon tank..If ya get your bait before sunrise You can jam maybe 8 or 10 in there..Maybe you use 4-6 baits.With a change of water after the morning fishing.If you can keep it cool you'll have some for the late afternoon run..Cool water does two things it slows the bait down, they stress less and use less oxygen and it holds the oxygen better..
IMO the difference between the 36 gallon tank and the 50 is huge.
It has a greater diameter which they seem to like.Plus the obvious of more water per bait..If I could make any suggestions it would be to get the larger tank if you can..

Your gonna love this as they go nuts for live's..If they are there you'll raise em..I also use a little bucket bubbler. It's screwed to my pail so I can drag 2 baits with me to the fishing spots.I use a 7 gallon pail with enough water in it to cover the baits..This gets me to the water.Some spots are a good walk back and forth with the bucket..Can be a PITA.Once at the waters edge I will fill it up..The ocean here is usually cooler in the summer months.The blend of tank and ocean water will help to keep em from getting shocked from the cooler ocean water..I have had what appeared to be nice baits roll over when ya set em in..

FORE!
It's usually darkest just before it turns Black..
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote