Thread: 3.99
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #27
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
what the heck ever happened to the Volkswagon Rabbit that got 50 MPG and others that did close to that?
did the oil companys buy them all up?
I just wonder why since the 70's, cars have progressed backwards in the MPG area, doesn't make sense.

it sure doesn't

i had a diesel rabbit that i drove across country and back ...from San Diego to new england and back again...but it broke down in Mo. and i had to leave it there at a friends house....and flew to cal. then i flew back to Mo. rebuilt the engine and drove back to cal.
=========================================
it had dual tanks installed.... and with them i had a 1000 mile crusing range... when i left S.D. i had a whole bunch of plastic fuel bottles - full of diesel - in the back ...they were thrown away actually from used coolant bottles that i had saved....so as i drove to florida going thru texas i'd stop at rest area's anytime i could add one to my tank ok.... anyways the point is... i drove basically non stop all the way into the florida panhandle without ever having to buy diesel fuel at a service station. i sure miss the fuel economy of that car.

lately i heard though, that VW was bringing back the diesel rabbit.

they are a wicked small car however and will easily slide underneath a semi if you fall asleep at the wheel.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote