Thread: Skin Plugs
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

For what it is worth, I usually add a tail weight (or increase the size of the weight already there) when I build a skin plug. It helps with balance, but more importantly I think they tumble less on the cast. I often also use a larger lip than usual to help swing the skin.

The plug usually will only have one belly hook (unless I plan to troll it), fairly far forward (though back enough so the fish clears the lip as it hits) to help cut down tail wraps (which also throws the balance off). I don't use chain or mono on the tail, seems like it would hurt the action and cut down casting distance (they already cast much worse than a normal plug).

I turn the tail section fatter to fill out the skin (and also allow more tail weight). I like to fish them with a tail that is 1/2 to 2/3rds the length of the plug. I have always built them big, though Flap did a job last year using very small (by my standards) skin needles (which he built using a dowel and egg sinker on each end).

I've also done well with skins on slopeheads, and I saw one of Stan Gibbs' tackle boxes once that had a skin on a bottle plug.

Word of caution, however, the two hook BM Gibbs skin needle design fouls horribly (presumably the guys who fished that used mono tail loops).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote