View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

I was going to wait awhile to post a Hab story but John has asked so I will post my favorite Hab story.

I can't remember the year but it had to be 1989 or 90. It's during the Striper moritorium and the minimum is 36".
I am at Fresh Pond Rock at about 3 AM in September. It's pouring. I mean it's coming down in buckets. On top of that the wind is SE at abot 20 gusting to 30. I am all alone sitting on the Rock with my back to the wind Grunden hood up and trying to light a smoke. (I smoked back then).
All of a sudden this voice says: "Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself or f@#*ing fish?" I look up and there is this guy with a huge Fu Manchu looking down at me, smiling. I said who the F are you and he say I'm Hab. He grabs my rod and CUTS my line. Looks at my Super Strike needle and says "here try this" and hands me a purple Habs needlefish. I still have it and we became solid friends. I field tested hundreds of his plugs over the years.
I saw John a week ago at HD in Smithfield and the first words out of his mouth were "How you doin' with the big C? that was John, always concerned about you and your family.
Fish with John a hundred different places and never had more fun. He was just the best guy. I feel very sad today but hope he is resting is that great space above.

Tight lines my friend, tight lines.

Last edited by piemma; 09-23-2007 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is online now   Reply With Quote