View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
JD, what about a Daiwa Saltist 30 or 40 married to a 7.5' rod (maybe rated 20-40lbs)? You want at least 7 feet to make sure you clear your paddles when trolling. This set up could also be used for eeling off a boat and with a fairly fast tip would cast very nicely as well and would make a nice boat rod with good power. You could also get a spare spool and keep one with braid and one with lead core...or just use the old cordless drill and soda bottle trick to quickly change lines on the spool as needed.

If I know the areas you're gonna yak, you are definitely going to want to fish deeper than the <20 feet I saw mentioned earlier in this thread. 25-45 feet is more likely. I would use lead core for this (30# test). I don't like adding weights and dredges between me and the lure, these things act as levers as a fish shakes it's head and can cause the hook to tear out of the fish's mouth.
Sweets, you're exactly on point with my thinking. I know we haven't talked specifics on gear for my new yak, but what you suggested is pretty much exactly what I'm looking at. I was leaning towards a Saltist 30 paired with a 7.5' to get past the bow, due to my short arms.

You know exactly the areas I'll be fishing. I think I'm going to try spooling with braid and go with a dredge, see if I have any trouble. After the first fish I drop, I know I'll be buying a second spool loaded with leadcore. Only takes a couple minutes to switch anyway.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote