View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #177
JLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I've got a can of that stuff and have been afraid to open it. I really want to use it instead of epoxy.

Are you spraying it? If so, what sort of gun/pressure/thinner?
What sort of vent system?
I think that Mike (M&D's) used it for a while but had some health problem attributed to it .......I think it was elevated liver enzymes.

Supposedly there is also an issue with it drying once opened. Are you using the sheet metal screw in the side of the can trick, the marbles trick, or some type of argon spray?
This is the third building season that I've been using it. Like Billy said I just use one coat which covers and protects the paint well but it doesn't provide a lot of protection against hook rash like some of the thicker epoxy coats do.

I just brush it on with a foam brush and personally I wouldn't spray it without a very good ventilation system as I've also heard of health issues from working with it and that along with problems breathing the fumes it can be absorbed through the skin. I like that it's just one part and I don't have to worry about mixing, spinning or temperature very much. Its very thin and easy to brush on and a little bit goes a long way. I'll wait for a warm day to use it and generally setup in the garage with windows and doors open or right on the basement steps with the hatch open and always wear a respirator and rubber gloves. It will harden in lower temperatures, I think KBS recommends over 50 degrees, but I've used it on mid 40 degree days without issue. It seems to stop gassing off after around 8-10 hours and is hard enough to handle after 24 though I'll usually wait 48 hours to wire plugs.

It does harden up if exposed to air but using the sheet metal screw trick one small can lasted me two winters.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote