View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Far more on the road now than in the past. And you and I will prob. drive either an all electric or a hybrid b/f we die.

The tax breaks were put in to help an industry get started. It has helped drive down the prices of hybrids/electric cars. Once an industry can stand on its own, tax breaks should be reduced. That is the arguement people make w/the oil & gas industry.
In principle, I agree that the tax breaks were given to the oil industry too. But everyone benefitted from that. With tax breaks on electric cars, the beneficiaries (so far) are rich tree-huggers who pay the insane premium for these cars, and the unionized auto workers who make them. Remind me again, which party to both of these groups overwhelmingly vote for?

And again, Paul...given that it's irrefutable fact that these tax incentives disproportionately benefitted the wealthy, isn't it dishonest for Obama to claim that conservatives are the ones that want to give tax breaks to the rich? Isn't that intellectually dishonest?

Good exchange...