View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
No, I never said any such thing. I said divorce rates were lower before the sexual revolution, and I was irrefutably correct.
Divorce rates where lower before we landed on the moon. I am irrefutably correct. They were also lower before Reagan came into office and Michael Jackson made the Thriller video. In my opinion, it was having an actor as president and his Hollywood mentality that led to higher divorce rates.

Here is some anecdotal (circumstantial ) evidence for an other possibility, based on a life experience of someone I was close to:
Female person friend was born into a very strict Catholic family. Parents were born in the 1920's, she was born in the 1950's. In the 1980's, she divorced her husband who was severly abusive; physically and mentally. Her father disowned her for going against the teachings of the church. He was old school Catholic and in his mind the circumstances did not matter in the Church's eyes. The percentages who felt the same were almost certainly higher for his generation than today. Maybe there are some changes in religious conviction about divorce, which are unrelated to the moon landing or sexual revolution, that have contributed with the divorce rate. That said, Reagan's Hollywood antics certainly correlate with the demise of marriage. I mean, look at his connection to Newt.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.