View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

It is interesting that "Hostess" is mentioned here. The exec's all got thier parachutes when the company closed. It was in the millions of dollars that was paid to the white collar exec's. Thier is much more to the "Hostess Debacle" than union greed.

For one, I have always been in a union. The job I just retired from and the one prior. It wouldn't have bothered me if anyone wanted to opt out.

And Jim, its not the entire union that demands membership as in what would be considered a closed shop, it is the bosses who run the union that demand membership for a job, and trhe business owner. The business owner, once he relents, and starts to negotiate with the union, only wants to deal with one or the other. Most union members realized they don't get chit for thier dues. The one union that everyone should be concerned with is the SEIU. Everyone is on thier payroll. All the pols cater to them, and the SEIU union bosses always volunteer rank and file members for any event the pols need them for. I know a couple of people who actually sued thier unions and won damages, because they didn't rep them very well. There is power in numbers, and the only people who have power are the union officials, no one else.

Last edited by Swimmer; 12-15-2012 at 11:01 AM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman