Thread: Conrad Sr.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
I'm really lagging behind this year .. I'm making Conrad Sr.'s out of white pine .. With 8-10 grams of lead in the belly like "metal lip" suggested I'm going to end up with a plug that weighs 2.4 naked .. (no hooks) .. My model ,, an original Pichney weighs 2.9 naked..Shouldn't I be weighing in around 4 ounces dressed ?
BBJ's original Pichney Conrad sr (which was one sweet swimming plug) weighed 3.23 oz without hooks, the jr I have weighs 2.2 oz unrigged. The hardwood bluesilver one I made and you saw weighs 4.2 oz rigged, and swims/fished pretty well. While struggling with the small ones I finally gave up an just turned a body, drilled a big hole, and added enough weight to bring the plug up to spec. with the original. Haven't done that yet with the big one. When I do I'm planning to use soft maple and shoot for 3.23 oz(the brown Sr one you took from me was pine and was too light with the correct sized weight (which is 3/8 x 13/16") so I had to add a small tail and chin weight to get it floating deeply enough). The plugs should float level with the water line at the top of the tail and at the lip slot (although I've since heard of a jr that sinks nose down (which is what my hard maple ones did with just the weight of the hooks and lip). The original pine jr has about 12-13grams of lead in it (I have not xrayed a maple one), and the original Sr has about 17 grams of lead (then drilled through) in it........but again, I think the shape and finished weight and float angle is more important than exact amounts of lead.

Crap, that's too long for you to bother with, Eddy. Just shoot for 4oz rigged and floating level and you should be OK.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote