View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Saltheart

Let me word it differently. All barley wines are "beers". However , something with that much alchohol and being aged in the bourbon casks a long time is going to pick up a taste profile that I would described as wine like.

One big factor would be its final gravity. i looked up the beer site that shows it has an initial gravity of 1.080. This doesn't make any sense if the ABV is 11%. ABV= OG-FG/8.06 or more easily estimated as , the gravity drop times 1.25 so its hard to get to 11% if the OG is just 1.080. it gets tricky at very high ABV levels because the alc has a SG lower than water (water being 1.00 ). Maybe they leave a little bourbon in those barrels. That would explain the ABV vs Gravity problem.

Anyway , I can't fingure the FG based on the data provided but what is shown , if accurate would in fact push it away from the high FG that is normally characteristic of Barley wine. In plain english , the data agrees with you that its a Beer Beer , not a barley wine beer. To me though the flavor profile is what makes it winey.

Hope you followed all that.

I see its a corked bottle like Chimay, Fin Du Monde, etc. That's cool! How much $ is it for a bottle and what size is the bottle?

Saltheart
Custom Crafted Rods by Saltheart
Saltheart is offline   Reply With Quote