View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Sounds like Jonah Goldberg has been leading you down the primrose path and now you, like poor Jonah, have become a victim of the Progressives, who in his belief are similar to Mussolini.

I wasn't aware of his definition of fascism. Once again, you got it wrong. I'm not on a primrose path (do you know the definition of primrose path?), and certainly not on a path led by Jonah Goldberg. I'm older than he is, and been on my own path long before I heard of Jonah Goldberg. You have, a few times, queried me about things like if someone was my guru, or who I followed. Is that projection on your part? Are your opinions formed by depending on some kind of mentor or pathfinder? You do seem to read a lot of opinion pieces and sometimes lean in contradictory or unresolved ways depending on who you've read.

It would be interesting to hear specifically what your political philosophy is.

And yes, as Scott pointed out in his above post, there were affinities between Progressives and Mussolini.

And if you trace the origins of American Progressivism, you will find it rooted in the authoritarianism of late 19th century German and French regimes.

I do think his definition of fascism, while incorrect, is interesting and certainly applicable at least in part to the current regime.
“Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people.

That is "applicable at least in part" to most regimes.

It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve that common good.

This is basic, fundamental, "textbook" Progressive political philosophy--essentially what early Progressives Like Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt (first Progressive Presidents) and the leading academic Progressives of the time openly advocated.

It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure.

Again, right out of the original Progressive play books.

Everything, including the economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives. Any rival identity is part of the "problem" and therefore defined as the enemy.”
Pretty much what American Progressives believed from the start, openly then, deceitfully now.