Thread: Radar is a go
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
Linesider82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Thanks for the info, I won’t be the one doing the install, i want it done right..

Went with the fantom for the Doppler I like how it marks targets green or red depending on their movements
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I will be doing my own install, and you got my thinking about it. I looked a little further into where the radar reads from. "The beam origin" per the Garmin owner's manual for the Fantom18 dome reads from center of the unit at centerline, which is about a 4&3/4" high at centerline.

I drew up my boat & the console I have; to test 3 things. 1st where the radar can see its full potential, 2nd where the radar's R.F. waves might impact someone in the boat for extended periods of time (i.e. standing at the stern and fishing). and lastly where would the radar hit the water.

tested flush: RADAR-FLUSH-TEST1.pdf
tested at 3" mount height: RADAR-ON-3INCH-MOUNT-TEST.pdf

I'm going to contact Garmin to confirm that the readings occur at center of the dome's height, but I'll will do a mount height shorter than 3" because I have some tall people I fish with, it also shows me that an angled mount makes a lot of sense especially for any power boats where the bow will rise under power. The only other thing I would consider and factor in is the slope of the deck and/or top at rest, vs. at lowest speed plane.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote