View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #85
detbuch

[QUOTE=PaulS;1115831][QUOTE=detbuch;1115829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Wasn't that [stop and frisk]ruled unconstitutional and racially discriminating?

i think your last statement is the key - it is tough to isolate the cause in a drop in crime.
Actually, my first statement, which you left out in your reply, is the key: "Actually, stop and frisk was interpreted as constitutional in the 1968 Terry v. Ohio decision."

What was supposedly unconstitutional in the case to which you referred is that it targeted a specific race, not that the practice itself is unconstitutional.

As I said, the "broken windows" policy of Giuliani as it is practiced in Detroit cannot be proved to be racist toward minorities since the overwhelming percent of its population is minority. And, after Detroit started using the practice, which includes stop and search, crime went down. You may dispute that the practice is the cause, but you cannot prove it either way. But it is not unconstitutional on the grounds of racial discrimination (unless it targeted Whites) so what's wrong with the policy? If Chicago could do it in a way as not to target blacks, I presume it would be OK. But that would be difficult, if not impossible, since the crime is preponderantly in the Black communities.