Thread: Insanity in CT
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
(1) the University of CT has its own police force, about 30 officers who attend the state police academy. Unlike many universities, UCONN is really in a rural/farming area, it's nowhere near a city. The chief of this force makes a whopping $247,000 a year, which is $30,000 more than the top cop in New York City makes.
To your first point:
I went to UConn (2001-2005). While yes, Storrs and Mansfield are rural/farming areas, for 9-10 months out of the year, the population goes from a few thousand people to 40,000 students. Being from CT, I'm sure you're aware of what Spring Weekend is (though they have castrated the version of Spring Weekend that I knew and loved), the logistics for that weekend alone are incredible.

I agree that $247k is a ridiculous amount. However, the school brings massive amounts of revenue, infrastructure and commerce to the surrounding community that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Did they every move forward with the Mansfield Village commercial development (or whatever it was called)?

I can't be bothered to search, but I'd be curious what comparable chiefs get paid at schools like UMass Amherst.

To your second point:

They should give out paperwork for the illegals to fill out to receive instate funding. Then forward it over to INS to get them shipped out. No more of this "If you educate them, they'll contribute to society." Sure, a few might, but most won't.