Thread: Insanity in CT
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
To your first point:
I went to UConn (2001-2005). While yes, Storrs and Mansfield are rural/farming areas, for 9-10 months out of the year, the population goes from a few thousand people to 40,000 students. Being from CT, I'm sure you're aware of what Spring Weekend is (though they have castrated the version of Spring Weekend that I knew and loved), the logistics for that weekend alone are incredible.

I agree that $247k is a ridiculous amount. However, the school brings massive amounts of revenue, infrastructure and commerce to the surrounding community that otherwise wouldn't exist.

Did they every move forward with the Mansfield Village commercial development (or whatever it was called)?

I can't be bothered to search, but I'd be curious what comparable chiefs get paid at schools like UMass Amherst.

To your second point:

They should give out paperwork for the illegals to fill out to receive instate funding. Then forward it over to INS to get them shipped out. No more of this "If you educate them, they'll contribute to society." Sure, a few might, but most won't.
Hey Johnny - I went to UCONN as well...

"for 9-10 months out of the year, the population goes from a few thousand people to 40,000 students."

Johnny, the population of NYC is 8 million, with God-knows-how-many visitors a day. Compare that to UCONN. NYC has more than 1000 times as many cops as does UCONN. Meaning the top cop in NYC has more than 1000 times as many employees as the top cop at UCONN. How does that suggest that UCONN's top cop earn more than NYC's top cop?

"I'm sure you're aware of what Spring Weekend is "

I am well aware. I am also aware that the top UCONN cop, with his fat 250k salary, cannot handle spring weekend alone, so they bring in lots of outside help from surrounding state police barracks.

UCONN cops write some parking tickets, and they deal with drunk teenagers. They have 1 challenging weekend per year. Cushy.

Finally, if they posted that job at $150k, they would get hundreds of applicants. That's how I know that $250k is an insane salary.