Thread: Insanity in CT
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I'm only going to address # 1. I'm undecided how I feel about number 2 without seeing more information on it (here and in CT)

A few things to consider:
Coach Calhoun makes what, 2Mil/year? what about the football program at UCONN? what does that cost? or is it all a net gain b/c of revenue the sports bring in? (I'm sincerly asking)

Second:
What percentage of the schools budget actually comes from taxes?

Third:
The UCONN president is paid ~600K or so. Is that too high?

for what it's worth, UCONN is typically regarded as one of the safest, and one of the best public universities in the US....
Rockhound...

"what does that cost? or is it all a net gain b/c of revenue the sports bring in? (I'm sincerly asking)"

That's a good question. The answer is, the men's basketball program at UCONN makes a ton of money, so you could make the case that his salary is a good investment for the state.

How does that logic apply to the UCONN police chief? How is he bringing in millions in revenue to offset his bloated salary? Are people buying tickets to watch him sit in his car and drink coffee? Do TV stations give UCONN millions of dollars to televise a broadcast of him sitting at his desk? Does the state get millions in revenue from the sale of t-shirts that say "UCONN police #1" on them? I do not follow your logic here at all, not at all...

"Second: What percentage of the schools budget actually comes from taxes? "

I don't know. What I do know is, until the answer to that question is "zero", that cop is a public servent, and that's just not a job that should allow someone to become a multi-millionaire. It's just not. His pension (assuming his salary maxes out at $250k) will be $175,000 a year, guaranteed for life. Come on, you're going to defend that?

"Third: The UCONN president is paid ~600K or so. Is that too high?"

To answer that, I'd have to know the salaries for presidents of similar schools. In this case, how in God;s name does the top UCONN cop command a higher salary than the top cop in NEW YORK CITY??

"for what it's worth, UCONN is typically regarded as one of the safest, and one of the best public universities in the US"

That's probably true. And that's either due to (1) the outstanding job done by the UCONN police force to reduce crime that would occur if a less effective police chief was hired, or (2) the fact that UCONN is in a rural area in the middle of nowhere, with no reason to attract significant numbers of criminals. The answer is #2.