Thread: Costly living
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #23
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So let's go over this for the "Reading Comprehension" challenged. Nebe asked a question, how much does a person need to make to pay the mortgage on a $480k house. Pay the mortgage is the important part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
How many dollars per hour does a person have to earn to pay a mortgage on a house that is $480,000.00 ???
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
So Spence, in some kind of liberal induced form of Tourettes shouts out $100 an hour. Nothing based on fact, just what he feels is a good round number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Roughly 100/hr in that scenario.
I referred to it as hyperbole, which is what it is, just something made up to make a point. $100 an hour by the way is $208,000 a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
More of that Hyperbole you so detest.
Nebe calls it "Truth", well then it should be able to be supported by facts

Quote:
You mean truth ?
So I plugged it into a mortgage calculator and worked out the numbers needed to "pay the mortgage" (which was the question asked) and it comes out to about $14 dollars an hour, leaving $86 an hour for the rest of life's little incidentals. 86. Dollars. An. Hour

Quote:
A $480000 mortgage at 3.9% for 30 years is $2,270 a month which works out to a little more than $14 an hour based on 160 hours worked per month, you know, 40 hours a week.

No, I meant hyperbole
So then Nebe elevates himself to a place of superiority because he has to be smarter than the rest of us because he couldn't comprehend the above post

Quote:
Omg. I’m going to frame this.
And then he invokes, what I can only guess is that New Math I've heard so much about, and tries to say that $14 an hour is 100% of a $100 an hour salary. Either that or it's that pesky reading comprehension thing again

Quote:
That’s 100% of your pay.
Which I question him on because, you know, it doesn't make sense. Which makes me question his math skillz

Quote:
That’s a 100% of a $100 an hour paying job???

Math wasn’t your forte in high school, was it
Which calls into question my reading comprehension skillz, I'm pretty sure I answered the question that was originally asked the way it should have been answered

Quote:
And reading comprehension wasn’t yours.
And then Spence adds a bunch of life's little roadblocks that really don't have anything to do with the actual cost of the mortgage. Which really doesn't justify the other, unaccounted for, $86 an hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
He also forgot real estate taxes, payroll taxes, SS taxes, home insurance and that no first time home buyer is likely to get a premium rate on a loan.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 09-02-2019 at 03:58 PM..
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote