View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I have a Vermont Castings and love it. I'm pretty hard on grills and usually trash them in 3-4 years......I've had this for 6 years now and it still fires up like the day I bought it. Yo0u can also pick up a Smoke Box and put different wood chips in it to impart that smokey flavor on you meat.

Charcoal is for when you have the time to enjoy the cooking....propane is for quick cooking. I want to hit a button and get my supper done before I have to rush out some where.

You'll also spend more money on Charcoal vs Propane. A bag of charcoal will run you $6-7 a bag and you will get 3-4 uses out of it. I use 2 tanks of propane a summer and I grill out 4 nights a week @ $20 a tank

I have both and use both. They both have their uses, and they both can serve up delicious food.

There are Charcoal Purists and Propane Purists, Both will swear there's is the only way to grill. But either one is good.

Basic Benefits of Charcoal are:

Smoky Flavor imparted on everything you cook.
Better Sear on Meats

Basic Benefits of Propane:

Ease of Starting.
Finer Temperature Control

Other than that its the Guy that is using the grill that makes the difference in the food that comes off of it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote