View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Crafty Angler
Geezer Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
I think Chuck used sweet vermouth.
A few shots of Goslings always worked for me.
Close, Bry - actually it's dry vermouth, although some use sherry - but I think sherry is better in a cream based chowder - the DBS is a clear broth chowder

But I gotta agree, I've been known to like at least a few shots of Goslings myself...

Anyway, the full DBS recipe is still classified - I had to trade my wife's Smoked Bluefish Pate recipe for it, but it's just a basic clear broth fish chowder with a few twists

The big trick is making fish stock from the racks after you get done filleting the blackfish, it makes all the difference in the world

A basic stock recipe is here: Soup Recipe: Fish Stock - San Jose Mercury News

Maybe BassDawg, Chefchris or Cheferson have something to add, too

If you do it, it's real important to remove the gills and rinse ALL blood off the racks - including the blood under the membrane of the spinal sac - otherwise it will be bitter

If you don't want to make a stock, you can always use canned clam juice as a substitute - but if you make a stock you can freeze it after you strain out the bones and it sure is good to have in mid-February when ya need it...

Hey, Bry - BTW, speaking of blackfish, I sat with Tautog1 and Professor O'Nitis at last night's 1st meeting at the Hall

It was great, they actually treated us like gentlemen - I dunno, that may take some getting used to...

"There is no royal road to this heavy surf-fishing. With all the appliances for comfort experience can suggest, there is a certain amount of hard work to be done and exposure to be bourne as a part of the price of success." From "Striped Bass," Scribner's Magazine, 1881.
Crafty Angler is offline   Reply With Quote