Thread: How come...
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #96
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You would think a global organization like the UN should form a convention to agree on a common definition for an equitable discussion around discrimination...right?
Wrong. I believe the UN is highly politicized. Up to this point, because of politics, the UN, in my opinion, has not been "equitable." As in democratic governments, it's the number of votes, not equity, that counts. Anyway, how can a political organization which does not display an understanding of "equitable" agree on a common definition of it?

But it is not the word or concept "discrimination" as used regarding Trump, or anyone else for that matter, that I am cautioning against. It is, at least in this thread, the word and concept "racism." In Trumps case, the word is misapplied. And I think it is not only an unconscious ignorant application, but in many cases intentional. Why? Discrimination of a certain kind is not necessarily bad. It can be good. Or it can be favored by a majority whether it's good or bad. But the word "racism" is supercharged. It's inflammatory. We have been acculturated to react with revulsion to anyone who is a "racist."

So, a political trick, is to apply that inflammatory word in place of others with which it may have a kinship, such "race" for "ethnicity." Many, maybe most would favor not granting, "discriminating" against, citizenship to a large group of illegal aliens. But if that group is comprised of a common ethnicity, and if the word "race" is slyly substituted for ethnicity, the "discrimination" can be framed as being racist. The desired outcome is that most will then recoil at the thought of deporting the aliens, or not granting them citizenship. The same process can be applied to a temporary halt of immigration of a group who has in common the religion that is causing worldwide destruction.

In such a way, Trump is more easily demonized. And language is that much more debased.

And it is difficult, if not impossible, to arrive at a common definition of anything if language is corrupted to vague, inaccurate, buzzwords. It is difficult, in that case, if not impossible, to even have common, equitable discussions.

Last edited by detbuch; 06-12-2016 at 09:57 AM..