View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosholu View Post
I think we all can agree that the pension system for many municipal employees needs to be changes on a going forward basis. People should not be able to retire after 20 years and collect a pension for the rest of their lives. Based upon what I have read on this board this is agreed. While the top earners may pay 38% I think you have to look at how much their income has increased over the last 20 years to put this in the proper context. At the end of this post I will put a link to an article citing how much the upper strata of income has gained over the last few years. The American citizens have bailed out the financiers and indirectly the hedge funds and allowed them to continue to make massive amounts of money. It is only fair and equitable that they pony up and contribute to bringing our country back to stability.

Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
Mosholu, the rich will always increase their wealth faster than the rest of us. That's the way the math works, because they have more disposable income to invest and grow.

To me, the answer is, if you want what they have, then do what they did to get it. But I don't see any right I have to make a claim to someone else's pile.

We bailed out some of these folks with TARP, and many conservatives were adamantly opposed to that, myself included. Bad businesses should be allowed to fail.