View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #48
DZ

Today on Block - purple flag is flying:
What's a surfcaster to do on Block when the gales are blowing 35 from the west? Go casting! Bucktail water produced enough bass to allow us both the privilege of having ice cream and Captain's Daughter (the beer) tonight our last night on island. Extreme weather on this island often brings surprises - this time I was surprised that I could see this enormous water life form swimming right toward us on the jetty. At first I thought it was a huge seal but soon it was obvious it wasn't as it was porpoising every few seconds and had a back fin - then I thought shark and jumped back off my rock as it came crashing into the breakwall headfirst right at my feet! It was approximately 6 -8 feet long and maybe 300-400 pounds as it took a pounding in the rocks. It's blunt nose was all red and I wondered if it was blood. I wallowed there for about a minute before another wave took it back out after getting pounded. Not long enough to get my camera buried in my jacket. Very sad to see something that large obviously is distress and disoriented. We're not marine biologists and were wondering what this was - it had a rounded nose and head so it wasn't a typical flipper porpoise - maybe a small whale of some type. Either way just another amazing moment on an island that has provided so many to me over the years.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
DZ is offline   Reply With Quote