Thread: braid to braid?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Pete_G

The Albright makes me nervous in a braid to braid connection. The wraps can slip over the doubled over line if it isn't tied VERY carefully and snugged down completetly. Traditionally the Albright is used in situations of joining lines of fairly different diameters. The fatter, heavier line makes a nice bump at the top of the knot the lighter, thinner line can butt up against. Lines of a similar diameter (especially thin braids) negate that quality of the knot. Bottom line is I would NEVER send a customer out of the shop with 2 sections of braid connected with a Albright. It may work, but I'd be constantly worried they would come back pissed after losing a fish of a lifetime. Using a lock on an Albright will help the cause. But I still much prefer a uni to uni knot.

I've been using the uni to uni for a long time. It works. For everything short of big game it will do the job. Although instructions generally say it is only for combining similar diameters, I've found it has no problem joining something like 14# Fireline to 30# Fluoro. Last years inshore tuna season proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Use a few less turns in the fluoro and at least 6 turns in the braid. As a braid to braid knot it's my favorite by far. 6+ turns on each side. Be sure to snug this knot down properly and completely before cutting the tags. The only failures I've seen come from slippage. This is a knot I trust completely if I have to connect braid for a customer in light tackle or surf outfits. Only way to really make it stronger is to tie Biminis before tying the knot. Much bulkier though for such a minimal gain.
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote