View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I'm curious what people think the government should enforce in regards to health insurance regulation.

One thing that I think is really bad, is how insurance companies are dropping coverage because some people just aren't that profitable.

Pre-existing condition? Well, your new insurance won't cover that...

Loose your job? Get COBRA for 7-800 a month for a while...then you're screwed.

Those who actually read my posts know I'm not for a single payer system and don't necessarily advocate the public option.

That being said, reform is certainly necessary even if it cuts into corporate profits.

What say you?

-spence

spence, I've held off on this story awhile, but here it is 100% true.
Both my parents worked their entire lives, 10 years ago they semi-retired to Florida. My Mom took another career position, my Dad, worked part time. Due to corporate restructuring, my Mom was laid off. She was the insurance provider and went on Cobra. Well, then 6 months or so pass and we find out my Dad has cancer. My parents panic, I do a ton of research (which conflicts with your assertions above) and we find that as long as you do not let your insurance lapse, pre-existing conditions cannot be held against a person when applying for insurance. Its the LAW. My parents get private insurance and yup, its expensive, but way less than paying the medical costs of cancer treatment. So my sister and I offer to pay the insurance so my parents dont have the burder, they refuse. My Mom, a person who worked her entire life in an office, goes out and gets a job at a supermarket making donuts at 4am, just to get insurance. She fought to get the 30 hrs a week to be eligible for insurance, once again, prexisting conditions where not a factor since their insurance never lapsed and so they discontinued the private insurance and my mom got insurance from the supermarket. She got up 6 days a week at 4am, worked 5 hrs and then took care of my Dad. So........heres my eternal struggle as a conservative, maybe you all can help. How come my parents (mom) could do it? Is it becasue, they're lucky? blessed? white? educated (both only HS degrees)?, or just because they believed that their circumstances were their circumstances and they had to take care of themselves, please help me see the light?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all