View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #33
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Based on what? This is the "go to" guy by even Bush on Islamic outreach issues.

I've argued that the sanctions were very effective at keeping Saddam's military ambitions under control. Certainly they came at a high price...

It does to some degree. I'm not sure Desert
I believe the context I've usually used is that in 2003 we were under little pressure to depose Saddam as Bush insisted as there was no immediate threat...because of the sanctions.

Storm was seen by Muslims as the US out to save them, but more as hired guns by the Saudis. Also, I don't think people think of specific events as much but they look at a pattern over time. Once measure of good faith may be lost if it's not followed up, and in a pretty dysfunctional region to begin with...this isn't always easy.

Iran is another good example. The US has been meddling in Iranian affairs for 50 years and yet we wonder why there's a lack of trust! Wether we had good reasons for specific actions may justify some of our own actions, but we can't ignore that there's another perspective that STILL INFLUENCES POLICY AND PERCEPTION TODAY.

-spence
Sad that the "go to" Muslim thinks we are as guilty as the terrorist, as do you.

"we can't ignore that there's another perspective that STILL INFLUENCES POLICY AND PERCEPTION TODAY."......yes, a hate for all other religions to the point where you are willing to kill your own. Guess what religions group that is???????