Thread: Door Slabs
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #3
ecduzitgood
time to go

This is how I would go about it...Take the spacing for the hinges from another same height door within the house. Use those measurements to mount the hinges on the door frame (use a router or chisel to recess the hinge flush with the door frame trim. Then put a temporary stop set in at distance equal to the slab thickness at the top of the opening, then put the door slab in place and shim it to the position you want it when closed and transfer the heights using the hinges you mounted to the frame. Make sure it's right where you want it because once you router the door you won't have much room for error/adjustment. Repeat for the other side. Now you have to decide if it is necessary to have a slide latch pin to secure the bottom of one door or mount a stop to the back/inner edge of one door that will stop the other door so the latch will engage easily. After they are mounted and you are happy you remove the temporary stop and install the perminent inner stop that goes around the whole opening. The reason for a temporary stop is it allows you the ability to adjust if necessary quickly and ensures the perminent stop is flush with the back of the doors incase the measurement isn't exactly the same (the opening may be out of square do to any settling over the years). It's a little tricky but doable with some basic carpentry skills and the tools necessary.
I hope that makes sense it been a long day and my mind is tired.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ecduzitgood is offline   Reply With Quote