View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
FishermanTim

Evening excursions

How many of you yakkers have tried fishing at night?
I haven't tried it in the salt, but I've been having a field day fishing from the yak at night. The solitude and quiet can be a little unnerving if you are afraid of the dark, but after you become accustomed to the dark, your hearing will become quite sharp. You hear every slap, slurp and pop around you.
I have learned, as with stripers, that largemouth bass are less wary at night and are more "receptive" to fishermen willing to put their time in. I was fishing this one pond this past weekend, and after getting a few 2-3 lb. bass I was startled by the splash of a leaping fish that, based on the sound of the splash, must have been in the 10-15lb. range. (basing that on prior salt experience).
To say the splash was big would be an understatement. It sounded like a kid doing a belly-flop in a pool! I can't wait to hit that pond again this weekend, and again when I go on vacation towards the end of the month.

If you decide to give it a try, I bring my headlamp, a spotlight, bug spray, a small tackle assortment and a bottle or 2 of water and then head out.
(Note that I wear a PFD all year round, but it is mandated from 9/15 - 5/15)
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote