Thread: Instant Plugs
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
falkners

3d printing is what many feel to be the next industrial revolution. There are several different types of printers and processes. The Makerbot (about $2000)that we have extrudes plastic wire on a spool (@$30 kg ) through a nozzle in thin layers in two dimensions while the build table drops down creating the third dimension. You first need a 3 dimensional model created by drawing software (I use Solidworks). The file is exported as a file that can be used by the printer software. The model is sliced into very thin layers and each layer which is a cross section of the part is then printed similar to an inkjet printer. The plastic cools upon contact an solidifies. There are other types of printers that use similar but different processes and materials. The main difference is cost and quality or resolution of the part. One is or has been sent up to the ISS so that they can make parts in space as they are needed. I believe the one up there makes parts out of metal powder fused by a laser and cost a couple of million bucks. It is kind of like the old Star Trek replicator in a way except for the time required. Check out YouTube...3D printing a wrench. Its crazy stuff. I have even heard that Detroit will be able to print full size models of cars cutting down on development time drastically. Its probably just a matter of time until actual cars will be printed as new materials are developed.
As far as the practicality of making plugs for production it is cheaper and faster to injection mold plastic plugs. I would guess a plug would cost about 50 cents, plus the cost of the inserts (hook hangers, thru wires, etc.) I am sure, however that plugmakers are using this process for development purposes prior to spending big bucks on hard tooling. You can get out all the wrinkles before spending the money tooling it up with permanent tooling.
One neat thing about plugs made with the printing process is the interior of the plug is honeycombed and not hollow like an injection molded plug. You can bounce it off a rock or feed it to a bluefish and not have to worry about it cracking and filling up with water.
falkners is offline   Reply With Quote