View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #16
bud8fan

AS, I think the best way is to drill the hole with a carbide or titanium tipped bit. The way you are doing it actually dimples the stainless. Now if you had a die below the stock then it might work but that is a bit technical. Just drill it. I think that is what everyone else is doing?

I believe Habs is using 316 but remember he has been in business for a long time and doesnt need to take a chance on getting a bad batch of wire.

Here goes for some more technical stuff!

Chemical components!
304 316
Chromium 18-20% 16-18%
Nickel 8-11% 10-14%
Carbon both have a maximum carbon amount of .08%
Maganese 2% 2%
Silicon 1% 1%
other(allowable %) 5 3
Rockwell(hardness) B90 B90

My main reason for posting this information is to show you all that there really isnt a major difference between the two.
Like Saltheart said he would think that you would want to start with a softer compound? I tend to agree. If stainless gets too hard it become brittle and that should be more of a concern than softness in my opinion.

Another thing to consider is are you making battleship hulls or fishing plugs? Now I can agree with someone who is planning on marketing his product. He wouldnt want to find that the wire was failing and have to replace items that failed.
But most of you are doing this as enjoyment and to swap here and there. I really doubt even 302 would be a problem.

Just my opinion guys??
For what its worth
bud8fan is offline   Reply With Quote