Thread: Casting Envy
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #34
ReelinRod

First off let me say that I fish (primarily with bait) some flat beaches with skinny water down in South Jersey; and by skinny I mean the lateral movement of the water's edge in a five foot tide cycle is in the 100 yard range . . .

Those who can place a baited hook out over 500 feet from the beach in what is the 3rd or 4th gut undoubtedly catch more and bigger fish in these conditions.

I have fished in one day tournaments down here (ASAC) for over 25 years and on the team I was on every member has invested the $$$ for the equipment and time honing the casting skills and it shows in the results . . . In the 16 or so tournaments every year being fished by 20 - 30 six man teams every week in the spring and fall, this team has earned the overall championship 28 out of the last 30 years. There were many days when we were the only team with points.

The concept that distance equals fish isn't just a hypothetical theory for me; I have lived it for a couple decades.

Distance casting for fishing demands a system approach, rod & guides (and layout), reel and line. This isn't the realm of noodley Lami GSB's, 704's and 20lb mono. In the last 30 years spinning tackle has undergone a rapid evolution in distance engineering driven mostly by the increasingly difficult chore it is casting fish from shore in Japan and Europe (UK mostly).

My tackle for distance consists of rods by CTS rung with Fuji SiC Lowrider guides, Shimano and Daiwa reels intended for the Japanese Domestic Market not available here in the states and of course braided line (30lb Whiplash running line & 80lb Whiplash casting leader).

I realize that the fishing that you gents do "up Nawth" demands different tackle and either the reels aren't appropriate because you are fishing wet or the long rods won't work at the ditch or the zoned action rods don't work a pencil that good and then there are the short butt lengths for the punch cast. . .

But there are times when you need to stick a pencil out over 150 yards and having that ability in your skills and equipment is a good thing.

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.
If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.
ReelinRod is offline   Reply With Quote