View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
You forget who captains the ship and controls the senate, Trump and his reactive as opposed to proactive leadership has this death toll and economy in a death spiral.
Well . . . I don't want to go back to that captain of the ship meme which we already discussed a while back. Suffice it to say, I don't believe he is the captain of the ship of state. I don't even subscribe to the notion that our country and its way of governing is at all like a ship and the way it is captained. He is captain of the executive branch of the federal government. No more. The mistake, that has been deliberately planted in our sometimes mindless skulls, that such an analogy exists, leads us into the very way of thinking that is suitable for transforming our limited government into an unlimited one.

As for the rest, sometimes it is necessary to react. Sometimes it is necessary to act. He has done both, when needed in terms of the virus and the economy. And he can only do so as President with limited powers, not as the sometimes wished for autocrat who must be responsible for everything. And the economy is surprisingly doing better than expected under the circumstances.