View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 AM   #106
Stax
SteepPoint.com.au

If any members of this forum register on the "Steep Point" forum and get message saying that they can't join please PM me and I'll get it sorted out. Our forum has had a lot of problems with people setting up bogus accounts for spam and advertising.

Fish Eye
Yes I have seen a few divers at the base of the cliffs, not my idea of a good time, but there are some great caves and holes under these cliffs with plenty of Crayfish.
In regards to the common sharks in the area, there are two predominant types.
The Bronze Whalers, huge monsters up to 400lb and the Black Tip Reef Sharks, they are much smaller only 20-40lb. There have been reports of Great Whites and I am sure they have cruiser past on many occasions. It’s the Sailfish and Marlin that can make this place unique as both have been hooked from the cliffs. Not too many Marlins landed though!
As you saw, Tailor Marc caught a beauty sailfish from the rocks. A very hard catch indeed.
When the seas are calm the water can be clear and blue with fantastic visibility letting you see the natural world swim past. Dolphins, Whales, Turtles, Manta Rays, Huge Schools of Narrow banded Mackerel, Tuna fish in plague numbers, 15 feet long Bronze Whaler Sharks (we call these Sharks “Noah’s”) picking off anything that’s a bit too slow,
Garfish (I think that’s what they are called in the US) 5 feet long and weighing in at 8-10lb’s (Long Toms here). The list keeps going on.

Watching a 30-40lb Narrow banded Mackerel that you’ve taken 3 hours to hook getting chased by a monster brown shape and knowing that you’ll lose to these buggers every time. Catching a fish head is common. Mind you it is a sight to see and it’s still worth the watch.

I travel the 1200 mile trip as often as possible, or as often the wife lets me anyway. I feel like I’m home whenever I return to Steep Point. It’s truly a hidden Jewel.

Stax
Stax is offline   Reply With Quote