View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #18
Mr. Sandman

I like red PP but it really does not matter. Use the hollow core on my offshore gear. On the offshore stuff I like the yellow because you can see it in bright daylight. It is not in the water generally when trolling, only the mono top shot is. Once the fish hits...then it spools off.

"All of those different brands are made from one of two materials, Spectra (made by Honeywell) or Dyneema (made by a company in the Netherlands called DSM), and these materials are so incredibly similar that they’re known in the industry as “sister” lines. Both are made from gel-spun polyethylene. Both offer the same characteristics, and both cost about the same. So, what’s the difference? There really isn’t any. Some lines claim to be rounder then others but that aside, it’s all more or less the same stuff. (Note – don’t confuse braid with “fused” lines, which are heated to fuse some of the fibers together. These lines are more abrasion-resistant then braids, but are also stiff, tough to cast, and tougher to knot.)

In other words, don’t knock yourself out stressing over whether to buy brand X over brand Y because you won’t be able to tell a heck of a lot of difference between them. Choose according to diameter, pound test, and color as you like, of course, but branding is far less important. You don’t believe it? Fine. Spool up two identical rigs with identical sizes and different brands, then fish them for a couple of seasons – which I’ve already done. Real-world experience backs up the research; the best braid is simply the one that’s filling your fishing reel’s spool."

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 02-08-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote