View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #47
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Economists disagree whether or how much an influx of immigrants depresses wages. Some have found that new immigrants depress wages for certain groups, such as teenagers or workers with a high school diploma or less. Others say the overall effect on the economy is tiny, and an influx of immigrant workers vitalizes the economy overall.

Either way, the forces driving wage reductions for blue-collar workers go far beyond immigration.

Another strawman argument from the right if the pay was better Americans would do it total BS
"Economists disagree whether or how much an influx of immigrants depresses wages"

They don't disagree, at least the honest ones, on the fact that they are a huge drain on the economy, and a huge drain on local resources (they need places to live, schools, medical care, police protection, etc). And they don't pay sufficient taxes to fund these things.

If I was born in Mexico or Central America I'd come here, no question. But we can't afford huge numbers of penniless, unskilled immigrants. And the more who come illegally, the fewer spots there are for people playing by the rules, waiting to come legally. That's grotesquely unfair to them. I have a friend who waited in Albania for 2+ years for his chance to come here, and we look the other way while people essentially cut him in line? It's not close to fair.