View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Bush wanted to do the same thing. "Expedite the immigration process."

So it looks like *your* president was no better with his approach to illegals.
funny, I don't remember Bush circumventing congress and the American people on this issue...I'd call that "better"...

Less than one month ago, Barack Obaama told radical La Raza activists that he would like to change immigration laws but that he did not have that power.

Obama addressed La Raza back on July 25, 2011.

THE PRESIDENT: Now, I swore an oath to uphold the laws on the books, but that doesn't mean I don't know very well the real pain and heartbreak that deportations cause. I share your concerns and I understand them. And I promise you, we are responding to your concerns and working every day to make sure we are enforcing flawed laws in the most humane and best possible way. Now, I know some people want me to bypass Congress and change the laws on my own.

(Applause.)

And believe me, right now dealing with Congress --

AUDIENCE: Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can! Yes, you can!

THE PRESIDENT: Believe me -- believe me, the idea of doing things on my own is very tempting.

(Laughter.)

I promise you. Not just on immigration reform.

(Laughter.)

But that's not how -- that's not how our system works.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Change it!

But, that was way back in July.

NY TIMES

"The action would also bolster President Obama’s reputation with Latino voters as he heads into the 2012 election.and he sure needs it Just a week ago the leaders of major Hispanic organizations criticized his record, saying in a report that Mr. Obama and Congress had “overpromised and underdelivered” on immigration and other issues of concern to Latino voters, a major force in some swing states." what a coincidence

WASH TIMES
"The move marks a major step for President Obama, who for months has said he does not have broad categorical authority to halt deportations and said he must follow the laws as Congress has written them.but when you are a complete failure and things look bleak you just start granting yourself all sorts of powers I guess, screw laws and congress

But in letters to Congress on Thursday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she does have discretion to focus on “priorities” and that her department and the Justice Department will review all ongoing cases to see who meets the new criteria. so laws and congress may be ignored if you determine that you have "discretion"...great precedent

“This case-by-case approach will enhance public safety,” she said. “Immigration judges will be able to more swiftly adjudicate high-priority cases, such as those involving convicted felons.”can we swiftly adjudicate the removal of Janet Napolitano?

The move won immediate praise from Hispanic activists and Democrats who had strenuously argued with the administration that it did have authority to take these actions. there's a surprise

Last edited by scottw; 08-19-2011 at 10:14 PM..