View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #43
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
No my metaphor was my opinion expressed in a way you could relate or bitch as the case may be and it fit perfectly.

You said "Ask yourself the important question, who is caption of the ship, if he steered the ship on the right course we collectively would not have run aground on the ledge. The caption owns it regardless of what others around him say or do,"

You made up your personal version of what the important question is, and your opinion was based on a false analogy. Comparing the President to a captain of a ship could only be valid depending on what you mean by "the ship." If by "the ship" you mean the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, the analogy would have some merit. But if by "the ship" you are referring to the United States, then either you believe that we are not the nation that was founded under the Constitution, or you believe that the Constitution gives the President nearly absolute power.

The President does not have a general power to control, direct, or command the other branches of government, nor the individual states, except within the limited power given to the Executive by the Constitution.

Whatever you think Trump should have done early, it would have been limited only to what the Congress and the Court and the States would allow. If he had wanted to "lock down" the country before those entities were willing to do so, he would not have been able to do it without their consent.

If Pelosi, and Cuomo, and the other Dem pols said it was okay to mingle in crowds without protection back then (and they did), he could not have imposed such a lockdown. He could only be "captain of the ship" of the executive branch. The other pols would be captains of their own little constitutionally limited "ships."

They would all "own" their decisions as "captains", as you put it, not just Trump.

The Founders would have been terrified of giving an overall captain-like power to the President. Or of giving that to any other politician. They viewed the citizens as sovereign, bound to government only by the limited consent they gave that government. They were not to be considered "sailors" under the command of some ship's captain.

A lie is what comes out of Trumps mouth every day, opinion is one thing, Trump purposely lies and distorts facts it has been his MO forever.

That is, on purpose, an opinion which is based on distortion and is your continual MO--just as was your distorted version of Trump being the captain of some ship that supposedly ran aground.

Jim gets his needle so stock on one point I find it far more amusing to watch him throw a tantrum and bitch about why I won’t comment on his January historic events; to comment would stop my fun.
So you're excuse for not answering Jim is in order to amuse yourself by watching him throw a tantrum?

Well, we have not have "collectively . . . run aground" as you put it. We are still "sailing" in the Covid storm. Making some headway. Doing better than most countries. Did those countries also "run aground"? Did they all have bad "captains"?

The only bad "captain" is Xi Jinping. China is more like a ship run by a captain than is America. And he is, no doubt, delighted to see us, and other countries, blaming their leaders rather than him.

We have such a great opportunity to use what China has done with this pandemic to bring down its communist regime, and free the Chinese people to truly join the rest of the world . . . but we would rather waste that opportunity and try to score political points . . . and by default let China off the hook . . . and give them the free ride to continue on its path to world domination.

I don't think you can answer Jim's question. I think you're too invested in your own distortions. I don't think you know what the right "important question," as you put it, is.