View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I vote mainly based on socials issues more than economic issues so I don't get involved in many discussions here on economic policy. But to give you the courtesy of a response, I'll give you a very short, very general and prob. disjointed answer- I think it is a mixed bag, some cons. states are doing better than lib. states and vice versa. I think the quality of life is much higher in the lib. states. Certainly, jobs have moved south (cons.) due to less regulation and the ability to pay less taxes. There is a huge drain of fed. taxes that the lib. states pay to the govern. that gets transferred to the cons. states. Educ. levels, health, obesity are all better in the lib states. Higher environ. standards costs $ in the libs states. We'll disagree whether higher taxes are worth it for all that and what you and I consider quality of life.

And just to go on the record, I don't believe whoever made that idiotic statement is crazy and doesn't represent the Rs.
I appreciate your response, but its misinformed. Quality of life is subjective however there are some parameters universally accepted -
cost of housing, schools, recreation, culture, etc. I'd be glad to repost all the items I posted in the Coincidence thread but its tiring. My "quality of life" in new england consited of long commutes, freezng winters and unfriendly people, high cost of living and declining schools. I lived in a decent town in MA. What you call concervatve states are growing, have a high quality of life - not a bunch fo trailer parks and taco bells. Again referr to to the many, many articles on "best cities to live, best cities for job growth", etc. I've found New Englanders view of the the south and or conservative states is about 25 years behind. Believe it or not, these rednecks have been sending their kids to college the last few decades and most are pretty bright. Things are way different. Paul - I leave you with this. A non political, brief analysis.
Please read - http://pubpages.unh.edu/~rgittell/do...oungAdults.pdf

Here is an exceprt - it seems the great quality of life you mention may not be shared....
What is less well understood is why the distribution of the
young adult age cohort is so unequal across diff erent regions.
Why do some of the Mountain, Northwest and Southeastern
states have positive growth rates of 20 to 60 percent in the
young adult age group while New England has double-digit
decline?
Th e dramatic diff erences suggest that New England
is not “attractive” to young adults, but what factors contribute
to young adults’ preference for one region over another?
What is the relative importance, for instance, of factors such
as costs of living? What role do housing or energy costs play
in the choices made by diff erent age cohorts? Are certain
types of jobs or environments more desirable by people
of diff erent ages?
How do current “myths” about some
regions being more youth-oriented and youth-friendly than
others infl uence the changes we have seen in recent years?
We do not yet have answers to questions like thes

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~rgittell/do...oungAdults.pdf

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all