View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #63
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
The 10,000 was a hypothetical, the plans offered by the appear to cost twice as much…the 600 dollars for a family plan would still increase more than the scheduled pay increase at a lower salary.

I assumed it was a hypothetical. The average plan in 2010 was a little over $14,000. Assume today it is about $15,000. So a single would only pay about $600 a year. That is damn cheap. That is close to being an insult to the private sector employees who pay the county wages and who pay far, far more per year. What the hell are we arguing about here. This is stupid.

And as I said before, it's the package that's the consideration. Health Insurance is the same thing as money. If you want me to pay more for my insurance you'd better give me a raise to compensate or after years of stagnation I'm getting a pay cut.

No, it's more than what you would get in salary. You don't get taxed on it. And all across the country, cities, states, and the Federal Government are in deep fiscal trouble. And that trouble is not due to what the private sector pays its employees and its investments. It is due to what the public sector pays its employees and its "investments." Wages are down on average in the private sector. Investment is down in the private sector. How does the public sector rate increases?

County workers aren't the same as the free market. Without a sense of stability the local government can't function.

-spence
That is so wrong. The public sector employment stability is and has been far greater than that of the private sector. But the free market requires every bit as much stability as does government. It is, in fact, a major reason a free market people instituted the form of government the Founders gave us. And the responsibility they gave it for producing good, stable money as well as creating predictability in laws and regulations is the very responsibility our government is shirking. And that is a major reason why the "economy" is sluggish and employment is too low and wages are shrinking. And why government workers need to partake of the pain that government is causing.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-05-2013 at 08:52 PM..