View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #25
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaCatchABig1 View Post
as of right now.. they wont. it would be insane. but you arent thinking big picture..
Russia is just rattling some sabers and trying to exert more influence in the world. The "partnerships" of Russia and China (like Shanghai Cooperative Organization) are not Nato, ASEAN, or a regened Warsaw Pact. They are just organizations that have some cooperation and like to wedge on US interests in the area. Russia is making some coin at the moment and have grand plans but their only card right now is that the US is off balance in many ways.

China ain't buying as much of Russia these days militarily now that they've copied and learned a lot and what they are buying is more pieces and less complete system complexes. Russia and China are more friends of convenience at the moment because - at the moment - they can be a fairly effective counterweight on us.

Oh, and Russia can't invade either. They have nukes but can't invade. I seriously doubt they could significantly roll anywhere at the moment or in the near future (not that I am expert or anything, just that I try to read on this crap) so they are trying the old way of realinging some of their former "republics" back into their sphere of influence...

Russia and China cannot go toe to toe with us where they can reach us in a conventional sense. The Navy and Air Force, for all of the shortfalls they have, remain by far the class of the world. The Army and Marines are hurting yes but the Navy and Air Force are significant threats...

Quote:
right now we are the only ones who would stand to lose should russia and china go postal on us
If Postal means Nukes than we're all screwed. If Postal means conventional then they can really only disrupt (debatable) the US in their backyards. We can't invade either of them (not enough sealift)and they can't invade us, not enough lift of anything.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: