View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #112
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Where you get that info? It seems like you might be promoting teaching of unsubstantiated or false claims. The things I find are more like:
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...n-fact-checks/
The National Rifle Association was "founded by religious leaders who wanted to protect freed slaves from the Ku Klux Klan."

Our rating: Pants on Fire.

This claim was made in 2013 by Harry Alford, president and chief executive officer of the D.C.-based National Black Chamber of Commerce and was shared by the Milwaukee County Republican Party.

We found the NRA itself said it was formed by Union Civil War veterans to improve soldiers’ marksmanship. And we found no evidence that religious leaders founded the NRA to protect freed slaves from the KKK."

Even separate from the issue of the founding of the NRA, I can't find any info that says they helped slaves. Could be true, I just cant find anything on it.
I don’t think I sad anything about how it why it was founded. I said they helped blacks defend themselves. I didn’t know that was in dispute, I’ve seen a lot of blacks claim they got guns from the NRA. In any event, as Paul said, their mission statement is quite different today.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device