Thread: Unemployment
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #20
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

...I was in that same situation a couple of years back...DET was offering "retraining" possibilities. They handed me a book and said I could be anything I wanted to be... I thumbed thru the book and told them that I'd like to be an Art teacher. They laughed and said "No Way!..the state won't fund a program like that, it's too long of a course"....I then offered to pick up the rest of the tuition once the state's money was gone. They told me that the state would not allow it. They would only fund something that I could complete with their allowance. I thumbed thru the book again, and decided on counseling.....DET said, why not become a prison guard if you have interests in counseling. Prison Guard = Counseling ...again, the course was too long to become a counselor. Once again, I thumbed thru the book... ..what about a male nurse I said, ....."too long" they replied. ...yet ALL these options were in the book. My counselor gave me a "questionaire" that listed your interests, it's a graph of questions that once completed...ends up telling you..based upon you answers, what field you should be in. It gives you 2 possible alternates. What do you think mine were?...Teaching & Counseling Being really pissed off now, I looked for the most expensive course available within my "course length limits", and chose the MCSE program...$13,000. Not that I had ANY interest in computers...I think I did it more in spite. Now I'm a traveling computer fool.....still wishing I was teaching kids how to draw.

It's a sad fact, but in America if you've always worked and unfortunately lose your job....you find yourself waiting in the back of a line filled with either welfare folk, people who always seem to dodge that employment bullet, or illegal immigrants receiving better benefits than you.

...it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote