View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I was trying to figure how to get radiant in there too, Pete... But since he said he is already cut into the hill, I would bet he wouldn't gain much if anything by chipping out the floor. The original builder probably went short on stone and concrete on the ledge. 50/50 call... If the sump were to be put on the uphill side, you would get an idea of floor and stone depth, assuming he doesn't hit ledge....
Yes, it's a funky situation. I'd note as well that the addition with the finished basement was mickey moused pretty badly.

The slab sits right on the ground. Not sure what's under there but with all the ledge trying to drop it would likely be a nightmare. Also I don't want to do anything that might compromise the foundation to this house.

The floor of the dirt cellar is a slightly higher grade than the finished basement. While there is no "proper" perimeter drain/sump I have installed a drain at ground level to collect water that makes it into the dirt cellar and have dug a sump pit at one corner of the foundation where the water table can get dangerously high.

So that's two sumps and a third on battery backup. So far it's worked pretty well.

I think the stained concrete has potential, and if there was still a water issue it would be easy to just pull up area rugs and vacuum up the mess.

My concern with the concrete is that I wouldn't be able to really seal the concrete that well...I'd like to stop the moisture that works it's way straight up through the slab. Perhaps this isn't as big of an issue as I think?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote