Thread: Data Recovery
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
We had a hard disk crash on one of our audio editing devices. had $2000 worth of client data on it. We shopped around and there are a few common themes I encountered when dealing with data recovery companies:
-it's extremely expense
-they charge a base rate that is not refundable, regardless of if they recover the data or not
-quoted costs have a huge range ($400-3000 was a quote from one company) and are storage capacity based

We had to evaluate the cost of recovery and had to eat the $2000 to the client. Just wasn't worth the gamble to pay out a couple grand to a data recovery company, it potentially not work, then have to pay out another $2000 as a refund. This was all 3 or 4 years ago... costs have probably come down.

My suggestion is to call half a dozen companies to get quotes. Don't waste your time bringing the drives to Geek Squad - waste of time and money.
x2

throw it in the freezer for a few hours. don't know why but sometimes that works long enough to get the data off. I'm 2/4 doing that.

if it's mechanical like you said then there is not much you can do. Is the sound you hear sound like the arm is bouncing back and forth over the platter kinda rhythmic?
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote