View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #89
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
From all of your posts that I've read, it doesn't seem to me that you understand what I propose. And it seems that your vision is thoroughly embedded in the Progressive assumption that, without big "G" government direction and/or control, societal intercourse will somehow fail, or be dysfunctional.

I searched your movie title and found a comedy by that title and another sequel to it titled "The Gods Must be Crazy 2". The synopsis for neither one of them was about the failure of the free market, nor about the free market at all.

At any rate, I don't look to fictional movies, especially not to comedies, for an answer on how things fundamentally work. Comedies, fictional movies in general, can be very entertaining. But not so useful as a guide to what works or doesn't. Authors of fiction can make anything "work" or "fail" as they wish in the story they write.

I gave you a real world example of a free market oriented medical clinic that charged far less (that worked not failed) than the price for the same procedure done by our Hospital/government cartel system--even less than some of the best government controlled systems outside the US, including Switzerland.

But if you prefer fiction to reality, then I can see why you approach philosophical, political, and economic discussions the way you do--especially how the same thing is good or how it is bad (e.g., how corporatism is bad and destructive of the middle class, but can be a good thing if it can be used to belittle a free market enterprise) depending on the slant you wish to impose.
But i do understand what you propose, I just believe that some people have and will always want Wealth and Power over others. That is why I referred you to that movie. The Bushmen had an absolute free market.
Shakespeare also wrote comedies. Art is important in society as more than just pretty pictures.
Here is a more in depth look at that movie, take with a grain of salt like all things.
https://grahambaden.com/2014/04/04/t...must-be-crazy/
Hey, it could also be a view in part of what the world will be like after the next world War.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin