View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #96
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Well, that's not at all what I said. Perhaps that's your problem...understanding that another viewpoint exists isn't an endorsement.

-spence
didn't say it was an endorsement...more like a very weak defense and shifting blame...it's not Islam..it is Europe's inability to embrace Islam and unwillingness to support the spread of Islam with never ending social welfare programmes...if only they were more tolerant in Europe

Caldwell: There is no welfare state on the scale of that in Europe, and I think welfare states are a bad fit for large-scale immigration. In an ethnically diverse society, people are less familiar with each other, and they are correspondingly less willing to pay taxes for social benefits. Two-thirds of the imams in France are on welfare. There is nothing wrong with being an imam. But I don't think the French are very happy about paying what is effectively a state subsidy for religion in that way.

Interview conducted by Mathieu von Rohr

pretty good interview from der spiegel
Christopher Caldwell on Muslim Integration: 'It's Much Better If Things Are Discussed Openly' - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International