Thread: "2006 Election"
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #47
fishpoopoo
Wipe My Bottom

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
It's not liberals though...Across the country there are a lot of high-quality moderate Dems running, which should help Congress a lot.
On paper it certainly appears that way. On that count I am somewhat hopeful.

One thing I am concerned about is the Dem leadership, particularly in the House. Speaker Pelosi is no moderate and she has been stewing for quite some time to push her leftist agenda.

They may have taken the approach of campaigning from the center-right, but may vote left while in office.

I ask: to what extent will these relative (d) newcomers, who appear to be more conservative than even some of their (r) predecessors, buckle to party discipline when the hot-button issues are decided?

This election was a referendum on the Iraq war and President Bush. But have Americans, in their fit of indignation, let the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& cat out of the bag? (apologies to cat owners).

We shall see.

In any event, it will be interesting to see how the dems fare when the economy tanks, as it is poised to do so now (all the leading GDP indicators I track have been headed SOUTH since June). Will Americans blame it on the President, or will Congress get blamed too? Will proposed minimum wage legislation and higher taxes nudge the economy sooner into recession?

It's the economy, stupid, right?