View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #82
detbuch

[QUOTE=spence;757843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I didn't say it couldn't be enforced

I quote you: "If not . . . why have the law? It could never be enforced."

Simple, because the wealthy have most of the money--and as it "takes money to make money"--the wealthy are naturally going to stay wealthy.

Where does the term nouveaux riche come from. Isn't that applied to those who were not previously wealthy have become so. Isn't most of that new wealth a product of the desire, in a free market, to gain wealth? And how does that hurt you. You have the opportunity, in a free market, to gain wealth.

A progressive system doesn't inhibit the free market when tempered by reality.

Any system that inhibits the power to accumulate wealth is not a free market system

Of course, there are others...

Tax credits to small business to cover the Medicare Part D donut hole, allowing kids on parents health care until age 26, can't drop coverage due to health, lifetime caps, 85% spent on care etc...

You're right. Those are several. At least one is a tax measure. And don't they all raise costs? Which is part of the reason taxes are to be collected for four years before the meat of the bill takes effect, to make it appear that it is paid for. Of course, there will not be further four year moratoriums to pay for it once it starts.

Like illegals and people who avoid the mandate?

There are too many illegals to fit into the category. As I said, not all that were supposed to be covered, will be covered. Maybe eventually. Who knows where this thing will go? It was not meant to be complete, transparent, all facts on the table. It was meant to PASS. To get the foot in the door, and THEN to be "fixed."

Like I said, I think it's both. I wouldn't expect the Dems to propose a free market approach to this problem. They would favor more proactive action under the belief that the government can be a positive force.

Government can be a positive force. But hard core Constitutional objections are that this is not Federal Government business.

I think the country has changed a lot in the past 200 years, and why there's a judicial branch to help interpret how the Constitution should be applied to modern times.

This is why balance among both the Judicial and Legislative branches is a good thing...

-spence
The change has occured due to Court politics not balance. The balance was intended to preserve the Constitution, not to change it. It is not balance when the Court allows the Federal Government to tax and regulate without dissent when it is for "the general welfare." In that respect, the court has lost its function as arbiter and given all power over to the Federal Govenment. It has opened the door to eliminate separate States. If the trend toward Federal power is left unchecked, we can become, not the United States of America, but the State of America. For those "retrogrades" that insist on adherence to the Constitution, another Constitutional Convention (heaven forbid) might be necessary. Then, even a pretense of the Constitution as was founded, will be erased. Human nature has not changed in the past 200 years. The declaration of Independence and the Constitution were based on natural law, a creator, and human nature. Those have not changed.

Last edited by detbuch; 03-29-2010 at 08:30 AM..