View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Karl F

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
I've got an '04 Prius that is part of the recall. Waiting to Jan'10 to call and let them shave of 1/4 of the gas pedal. The OEM mats already have the hole/floor clip to hold in place?

Still don't understand why shutting off the ignition is not an emergency solution should the accelerator become stuck?
OEM mats did have the hole and hook set up, the zip ties holds it back closer to the seat mounts, and secures both sides.

The ABC report I saw on the throttle issue, did say to slip the car into neutral, steer and brake vehicle to a stop..then shut off. If you shut it off while rolling, you loose the power brakes and power steering.

However in a panic situation, most folks instincts are to just grab the brakes.

My boss worried about the slipping into neutral, did not want to blow engine, I told him, that would be a warranty issue at that point, and besides, even American cars have rev limiters now, so I am sure the Toyata's do as well. He has done it a few times now, and it works well. He also has taken his mats right out of his Lexus, and it still happens.. especialy in the low-mid 40 mph range... like when he said he lifts off for a second, like coming up on an intersecting road or intersection, see that it is clear and resumes pressure... all of a sudden , car feels floored... and his foot is well off the pedal at this point. This is some kind of electronics issue, not a pedal issue, or floormat problem... but, like all big corporations, they are taking the long way to get to the answer.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote